Our Wedding!

Wednesday 1 April 2015
So this isn’t a sewing related post but I thought I’d plug a gap in my blogging history to explain the absence of sewing. Most of January and all of February were spent crafting and preparing for our wedding then we went straight off on honeymoon to Thailand. I’m now back sewing and have a gorgeous new Mortmain to show you next time…

In the meantime I hope you’ll let me be a little self-indulgent and show off some of our wedding photos and tell you a bit about the day itself… 



First up and, without doubt, the most important people – our photographers. After reading umpteen wedding blogs I kept seeing the same name popping up -  McKinley-Rodgers and it soon became clear that their style of shooting was exactly what we had in mind. In fact we booked them as soon as we’d booked the date with the registrar! We got to meet husband and wife team Pen & Cam on our ‘beloved’ pre-shoot back last autumn and it was very obvious that we’d made the right decision. Our photos from that day in Oxford were so stunning that we knew we’d be in safe hands plus they’re both super awesome people which is a bonus! We also opted to have a video made by Cam’s company Storycatchers  which I don’t think I've been able to watch without crying yet!  They truly captured the spirit of our day and the following images are published with their kind permission.

Our dresses were both from House of Mooshki . Olivia at the design studio was so wonderful helping us decide on all the little details and changes which would suit us. To start with we didn't see each other’s dresses then, when it came it fittings, we decided to sneak a peek in the hope that we’d get as many tears out before the day as possible. Standing together in our dresses just added to the excitement!
Mine is a slightly altered version of the ‘Sarah’ dress and my wife has an altered ‘Elle’. Our flowers were from Pip Lowe Flowers  who we met at Chosen Wedding fairs  She used seasonal ranunculus in soft whites and pale pinks.






I totally fell in love with my Irregular Choice shoes via a Pinterest photo but they were from a previous season and no longer on sale. Luckily I managed to find a pair, unworn, on eBay for £30 which was a bit of a result! Olivia managed to match the red of my sash to the red on the shoes which I really liked. My dancing shoes were a pair of customized Converse which I added our wedding date to. Instead of a fancy bag I bought a cute clutch from Not on the High Street  to keep all my essentials for the day in.



Our ceremony took place at Islington Town Hall which is a stunning venue – the council chamber has a magnificent domed ceiling which lets in so much light (essential in February!). Our wonderful photographers organised our guests for a confetti throwing photo which turned out to be my favourite from the day.



We then all jumped onto an old routemaster bus Timebus to transport us to The Prince Albert pub  pub for our reception. We knew we didn't want a big formal ‘do’ so a pub felt really natural for us. The team there have organised loads of weddings so you know everything will run smoothly! The Prince Albert has a lovely upstairs dining room which seats 80 and is so full of character that you really don’t need to do much in terms of decorations. We named our tables after cities that we've visited together and each guest received a Tunnucks Tea Cake, a fortune telling fish and a lego person which, for some people, we’d managed to make to look like them. Each table also had jam jars of posies made by our florist.







Our cakes were from Primrose Bakery  – we had a mixture of flavours with a chocolate / white chocolate top cake and our cheese cake was provided by the pub.
We snuck off for a quiet moment and had much fun swishing our dresses!

Finally our first dance – we 100% didn’t want anything too smoochy so decided on ‘All Night Long’ by Lionel Richie as it makes us laugh. We are fortunate to have a friend AJ O'Neill  who choreographs wedding dances (as well has helping Dermot O’Leary on his Red Nose Day dance challenge) so he helped us come up with a routine that wasn’t too challenging or hard to remember! We roped in all our friends towards the end so we weren’t left dancing on our own for too long.



We had some wonderfully creative people helping us along the way and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to you. In addition to the fab people above we also hired 2 black taxis from   http://www.londonblacktaxis.net/ to drive us to the Town Hall and our hair & make up was artfully applied by the uber talented Molly from  Dickie and Dove
Also thank you to my wife who designed and made our save the date, invites, order of service and place settings - she's my lobster! 

It was a truly magical day and I felt so honoured to be surrounded by so many happy people – I don’t think I stopped smiling all day!
If you’d like to know about any other suppliers or tips please just ask – I have a mega list!


All images copyright www.mckinley-rodgers.com

No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page