My 5 Favourite Sewing Tools

Friday 4 August 2017
Sewing Gauge

Sewing Gauge



 I think this is probably the tool which I pick up during every single project I’m working on. It’s not only useful for measuring distance but a whole host of other little tasks. I use it to mark the pivot point when I’m sewing a collar or a V-neck, to check where to align the top of a zip on the back of my dresses and to ensure my buttons are not only equal distance apart but also in line with the edge of the garment.




Point Turner

Bamboo Point Turner

I’m a huge fan of the shirtdress so my point turner is vital for getting a sharp point on my collars. However, it’s also useful for turning the centre back seam where it meets the zip, cuff edges and waistbands. Just be careful not to be too enthusiastic and pierce a hole in your garment (been there and had to make the collar all over again!). 


Micro-tip Scissors

Fiskars Micro Tip Scissors
Fiskars Micro Tip Scissors












These nifty little scissors from Fiskars are great. The blades are super sharp and the spring action handles keeps you in full control of where you are cutting. These are especially good for clipping and notching curves when you don’t want to accidentally cut into your seamline. I bought mine in John Lewis and have also converted my mum over to using them too.


Bodkin

Pyrm Bodkin on roll of elastic

I always used to attach a huge safety pin to the ends of elastic as I treaded it through the casing. I find that using a bodkin is much easier. They usually come in a pack with two different sizes. You just push the end of your elastic through the bodkin and push it down until it’s securely held. Now I can pull my elastic without worrying that I’m about to undo the safety pin!


Pattern Master

Morplan Pattern Master Ruler


This is a handy tool to have in your kit if you’re every tempted to pattern hack. You can use the curve to redraw necklines, armholes, princess seams and the entire ruler has seam allowance lines marked if case your pattern doesn’t already have them. You can buy the ruler with Imperial or Metric markings depending on your preference. If you were interested in taking your pattern drafting up to the next level, I would also recommend a French Curve and a Dressmaker ruler. They both provide a wider variety of curves. 




So, which items would you choose as your top sewing tools?

No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page