Allied Inspired Buchanan Dressing Gown

Monday 4 September 2017

Have you seen the film Allied? If you’re a fan of 1940s fashion then you really ought to check it out. Set in 1942, it stars Marion Cotillard and Brad Pitt as a Resistance fighter and Intelligence officer and is full of intrigue and tension. The plot really has you guessing until the end but it’s the clothes, worn by Marion, which stole the show for me. The costume designer, Joanna Johnston, modelled the designs on original vintage pieces.

Allied Film costumes



Allied Film costumes
Allied Film costumes sketches

Allied Film costumes


The costume that really caught my attention was the dressing gown that Marion’s character, Marianne, wears on the roof of their Casablancan apartment. It’s a gorgeous floaty, romantic silk number.

Allied Film costumes

Marion Cotillard Allied film

Allied Film costumes sketches

I decided to have a go at making a version for myself using The Buchanan pattern by Gather Kits. The original pattern stops mid-thigh so I lengthened it to finish just above the floor. I wanted to keep the floaty, cool feel of the original gown so decided that a crepe would work best. 

Gather Kits Buchanan Gown sewing pattern


I found this lovely blue floral crepe at Sew Over It which I felt had a vintage feel to it. I was undecided about which colour to use for the trim, cuffs and waist sash so the lovely ladies at Sew Over It sent me some samples of crepe in ivory, grey, red and deep blue. I decided to go for the ivory as I felt it kept the gown feeling a little lighter.

Allied inspired dressing gown using The Buchanan sewing pattern


The pattern also features belt and hanging loops and a choice of inseam or patch pockets. I didn’t want to bulk up the side seams with pockets so I made the patch pockets, however, I’ve only sewn one on so far. I’m not entirely sure the crepe hangs that nicely as a pocket and I still might unpick it!

Allied inspired dressing gown using The Buchanan sewing pattern

To keep everything looking neat inside I used French Seams throughout including the sleeves – it took some internet head scratching to work that one out! They are a little large but, overall, I’m happy with how it looks. This was my first big project using French Seams so I’m not going to beat myself up over it!

Allied inspired dressing gown using The Buchanan sewing pattern

Allied inspired dressing gown using The Buchanan sewing pattern

And just to prove that everything doesn't always run smoothly, just a day after finishing the gown I decided to give it a quick press. Without thinking I set the iron to number three and, yes, burnt a hole in the sleeve! I was so annoyed with myself for not checking the iron. Luckily I had just enough fabric left to cut another sleeve but I had to unpick the French Seam I'd sewn around the armhole. In the end I was glad I replaced it as the new topstitching is much neater than the original.



I love wafting around our flat wearing this gown, I’m very aware that I don’t look anywhere near as glamorous as Marion Cotillard does, but one can pretend eh?

If you're interested in reading more about the costumes in this film then read this interview with the designer, Joanna Johnston, where she discusses her inspiration for the film and if you haven't seen the film then I suggest you do pronto! 

All Allied movie photos are copyright Paramount Pictures. 


1 comment

  1. Arrrgghhh! to the burnt sleeve, I think I'd have cried! Glad you had enough fabric to fix it. Your dressing gown is fabulous, very glam!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page