1950s Sewing The Scene Jacket

Monday 9 October 2017

You may recall that I'd decided to have a go at sewing a 1950s Swing Jacket in the style of one worn by the character Bel in BBC's The Hour. Here's a reminder of how it looks.

1950s swing jacket

A classic shape, boxy, with grown on sleeves and turn up cuffs. Simplicity 1319, a vintage reissue, fitted the description perfectly. I'm really pleased with the final jacket! 

Simplicity 1319 1950s Swing Jacket Sewing the Scene challenge

The fabric is a light brown wool mix which I bought from Stitch Fabrics at Sewing Bee Live a couple of weeks ago. It drapes really nicely and I'm happy with how it hangs. The inside is lined with some ivory crepe which I had leftover from sewing my Allied inspired dressing gown
Simplicity 1319 1950s Swing Jacket Sewing the Scene challenge
I spy a cat!

Simplicity 1319 1950s Swing Jacket Sewing the Scene challenge

Simplicity 1319 1950s Swing Jacket Sewing the Scene challenge

If you read my blog post about the inspiration for this jacket then you'll have seen that the original has a tab on the back to provide some shaping. I haven't added it, yet. I still might. I think I have to wear it a few times to decide whether the jacket could do with a little shaping. 
Simplicity 1319 10502 swing jacket

I'm already planning a Bel style dress to wear with it - she has such great style! 
Bel Rowley, The Hour
Many thanks to Jo @ The Unfinished Seamstress for organising this sewing challenge. Have you felt inspired to sew an outfit from a TV series or film?  

1 comment

  1. This is gorgeous! You did a brilliant job of re-creating the inspiration jacket. I say yes to the tab. It could have buttonholes to make it detachable, and then the buttons would be a design feature.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page