A Tale of Two Skirts - A Review of Simplicity 8250

Thursday 25 January 2018

Well done everyone - we've nearly made it to the end of January! I hope the month hasn't dragged too much for you. I've been having a sort out in the craft room, tidying my fabrics, sorting through scraps and generally organising supplies. I managed to take two large bags of fabric scraps to H&M for recycling which is great as, with the best intentions, I wasn't ever going to get round to making another quilt with them.
However, I have managed to squeeze in some sewing and I have two lovely new skirts to share with you today.


Simplicity 8250 1950s skirt pattern

 I bought Simplicity 8250 during one of the half price pattern sales which are always great value. The skirt has two variations and a little bolero jacket. I was smitten with the grey wool version on the cover so pretty much copied it, only changing the waistband to make it straight.

Simplicity 8250 1950s skirt pattern

The skirt is formed of four panels and the front seam is created by folding one CF over the other and top stitching to the hem. The skirt fastens with a standard zip and closes with a hook and eye on the waistband.

Simplicity 8250 1950s skirt pattern

Simplicity 8250 1950s skirt pattern
There's a lot of fabric in the skirt, the pattern calls for 2.4m of 60inch fabric (which this wool was) but I managed to squeeze it out of just 2m. I bought the medium weight wool fabric from Sew Over It at the Knitting & Stitching Show in October and had intended to use it for a winter skirt. I'm wearing it here with a slash neck top from Vivien of Holloway although you could sew a similar item using The Gable Top by Jennifer Lauren sewing pattern. 

Construction was straight forward and the instructions are clear when describing the fold on the CF and how to hem (you leave the bottom of the fold open until after you've sewn the hem). I didn't have any problems following it. I made my normal Simplicity size and the fit is fine.

This was a quick and satisfying project to sew and a great wardrobe filler. I pretty much immediately sewed another one using some tartan I'd bought in Paris in 2013 - I think this fabric might have been one of the oldest in my stash! This time I cut the front of the skirt on the fold as I didn't want the centre front seam to interrupt the checks. I even managed a bit of pattern matching on the side  seams! 
Simplicity 8250 1950s Skirt Sewing Pattern

Simplicity 8250 1950s Skirt Sewing Pattern

I might try to shorten the pattern for Spring time although I'm not sure how that might affect the way the skirt hangs, maybe I'll make a version in some cheap fabric to test it out.
I'll leave you with a side by side comparison of my two versions.

Simplicity 8250 1950s Skirt Sewing Pattern
Hannah x 

No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page